Welcome to VictorianVoices.net, the largest topical collection of Victorian periodical articles on the Web!|
VictorianVoices.net is an ever-growing archive of articles from actual Victorian magazines. Our collection is organized by topic to make it easy for you to explore the aspects of Victorian life and history that interest you the most. The site already features more than 2000 articles, and hundreds more are "in the works."
How We're Different: Many websites offer archives of Victorian magazines. All the others, however, post magazines in their entirety. This means you have to comb through hundreds of pages just to find one article on, say, Victorian royalty or recipes for an afternoon tea. Many other sites also make it difficult to download or print the individual articles you want. On VictorianVoices.net, you can instantly access dozens of articles on your favorite topic, whether it's tea recipes, Victorian fashions, or the "latest" archaeological discoveries. Plus, we make it simple to download or print the articles you want. (We do recommend accessing this site from a computer or laptop, as our PDF files are sometimes too large to view on a Smartphone or even a tablet.)
WHAT YOU'LL FIND ON THIS SITE:
History, Archaeology & Folklore
- Victorian discoveries that helped redefine the ancient world - plus archaeological finds in the British Isles.
- Lore and legends from around the world, including folktales, flower lore, seasonal folklore, folklore of the British countryside, and more.
- British and world history, primarily of pre-Victorian times.
- American History
- This section - admittedly a little sparse for now - will look at American history and Victorian America.
- How It Was Made
- How Victorians manufactured everything from coins to fireworks - plus how things were made in antiquity.
- Objects, Curiosities & Antiquities
- From figureheads to sundials: Roundups of "curious objects" that fascinated Victorian readers.
- Personal glimpses of Queen Victoria and her family; the royal household and residences; royal pets; contemporary royalty in Europe; royal palaces and pursuits; historic royalty.
- Eminent Victorians
- Writers, artists, musicians, composers; travelers and adventurers; noted female travelers; heroes and heroines; models of benevolence; eccentrics.
- Historic Figures
- Victorian articles about pre-Victorian notables.
- Victorian Americans
- Eminent Americans of the Victorian period.
The Victorian Home
- Arts & Crafts
- Beautiful how-to articles on a host of Victorian crafts: embroidery, needlework, knitting, crochet; painting, drawing and sketching; painting of china, fabrics and other materials; woodwork and metalwork; papercrafts; plus a host of "forgotten" Victorian crafts (such as Barbotine pottery and crazy china).
- Cooking & Recipes
- Plan the perfect Victorian meal, or a menu for a formal dinner! This section provides recipes for entrees, main courses, soups, salads, vegetables, savouries and desserts, plus tea-time treats, international recipes, and tips on entertaining and social events.
- Gardens & Gardening
- How to plan, design and maintain a Victorian garden, including Japanese gardens, rose gardens, rock gardens and herb gardens; gardening in containers and small spaces; raising specific garden plants and flowers.
- House & Home
- Decorate your home in perfect Victorian style with these articles on Victorian décor and furnishings. This section has features on managing a budget; housekeeping and cleaning techniques; household and marketing costs; managing servants; and different types of homes.
- Our Friends, the Servants
- How to manage the servants; understanding a servant's (and mistress's) rights and responsibilities; what to pay a servant; the duties and responsibilities of various types of servants; how to find a job in domestic service.
Victorian Personal Life
- Children & Childcare
- Raising "king/queen baby"; childhood education; maintaining a proper nursery; childhood amusements and entertainments; crafts for the nursery.
- The "rules of society" for all classes; how to handle every type of social occasion; the etiquette of calling and calling cards; good manners in conversation and letters; the etiquette of mourning.
- A detailed look at Victorian fashions year by year; the history of fashion; fashion controversies (e.g., the corset, undergarments); hats and hairstyles; bridal trousseaus; fashion on a budget.
- Health & Medicine
- Victorian tips on health and beauty; specific illnesses and treatments (don't try these at home...); children's health; seasonal health topics.
- A look at Victorian holiday customs and how holidays were celebrated throughout the world. (See the Christmas page for Christmas celebrations.)
- Reviews of the latest "new music," and an extensive collection of Victorian sheet music published in periodicals.
- Social Life & Social Events
- A guide to social events and entertaining; how to host (or attend) social events; children's parties; weddings and at-homes; social clubs; social etiquette; court presentations and "high society" events.
- Sports & Recreation
- How to enjoy oneself, Victorian-style: Indoor recreation and party games; outdoor sports such as boating, riding, cricket and golf. Plus - ongoing controversies over what sports were "suitable" for women, including the great debate over whether women should ride bicycles!
The Larger Victorian World
- From cottage to castle: Victorian and pre-Victorian architecture.
- Business, Law & Finance
- A look at Victorian business and financial institutions; Victorian laws and legal systems; government; hospitals and medical facilities.
- Country & Village Life
- Life in the Victorian countryside, from village cottage to country home; farm life; country and farm work.
- Victorian London
- Your tour guide to sites and destinations in Victorian London, including London buildings and businesses; haunted London; history London; social events in London; London's amenities and services; culture and society in London; London's street life; London's poor.
- Poverty & Charity
- A look at the lives of the Victorian poor; charities, homes and institutions; individual charities; mission work.
- The Working World
- Glimpses of Victorian working conditions (including first-hand accounts); jobs and career options for women; servants and service; work in the farming, fishing and mining industries.
- Science & Technology
- Coming soon... Victorian scientific developments and discoveries.
- Should women aspire to "higher education?" A chronological look at the controversy over women's education; women's colleges and educational institutions; art schools and vocational training.
- The Changing Roles of the Victorian Woman
- A chronological look at the changing roles and views of women in the late Victorian period.
Around the World
- Travel Tips
- In an age before planes, travel was a major undertaking. This section looks at travel tips and advice: How to travel by sea, what to pack for a long trip; short holidays; visits to the seaside; camping; European travel; "exotic" destinations.
- Destinations in Victorian Britain
- This section looks at Victorian Britain from the "tourist" perspective, with articles on key destinations and places to visit.
- European Travel
- European travel destinations for the Victorian traveler.
- "Exotic" Destinations
- It took an intrepid traveler to go beyond the safe hotels and trains of Europe and strike out into the more "exotic" world of Africa and the East.
- The Colonies
- Information about the various colonies of the British Empire, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, African colonies, etc. (Interestingly, these were rarely considered "travel destinations.")
- A look at Victorian America through British eyes; accounts of Brits who moved to America to farm or ranch.
- World Cultures
- A look at cultures, societies and peoples around the world through Victorian eyes. (Warning: Often not politically correct!)
Animals & Nature
- The wild kingdom through Victorian eyes.
- Some beautifully illustrated articles on seasons in the countryside; the study of nature; British and internatioanal plants and wildflowers.
- On the care and management of the Victorian pet, which included but was certainly not limited to dogs, cats and birds (articles in this section include such exotic pets as lemurs, turtles, a mongoose, and even a stag beetle!). Plus, tips on poultry-rearing and bee-keeping.
OUR MAGAZINES: Articles on this site are drawn from such publications as The Girl's Own Paper/Annual, The Strand, The Illustrated London Almanac, Chatterbox, Cassell's Family Magazine, Ladies Realm, Windsor, Godey's Lady's Book, Peterson's Magazine, Demorest, Century, Harper's, and many others. You can also search for articles by magazine, or learn more about each publication.