Don't miss an issue!
Join our mailing list to be notified
as soon as each new issue comes out - plus get access via Dropbox!
Get it in Print!
Get the July-September issues in
Victorian Times Quarterly #17
Coming in September 2018
- The Street Games of Children (The Strand, 1891)
- Tipcat, Bucks and Gobs, Hard Buttons, Poor Jenny, Bobby Bingo... these are just a few of the entertainments enjoyed by the children of Victorian London!
- Study of a Cat-Bird (Atlantic Monthly, 1883)
- Observations of a cat-bird that made itself at home in the author's house!
- Rings Lost and Found (GOP, 1899)
- Some remarkable tales of rings that have been lost and recovered years later, including the signet ring of Mary, Queen of Scots.
- The Science of Fools (CFM, 1885)
- A short history of heraldry, "the science of fools with long memories."
- Tea-Table Delicacies for the Summer Season (CFM, 1889)
- More tempting recipes, including Blancmange, Biscottines, and Sponge Cake.
- American River Steamers (Cassell's Illustrated Family Paper, 1860)
- A look at America's "floating palaces."
- Pyrography, or Poker Work (GOP, 1893)
- Poker work is similar to wood-burning, though it can be done on other surfaces as well.
- Pyrography Upon Glass: A New Art (CFM, 1893)
- Hot poker etching on glass.
- A Strange Trade (CFM, 1889)
- This article gives new meaning to the term, "Ant Farm." (Or maybe "old meaning"?)
- In Search of the Shipwrecked (CFM, 1881)
- An account of the rescue of shipwreck survivors from the Crozets island group.
- Fruit Puddings (GOP, 1899)
- Summer Beverages (Godey's, 1860)
- Manners: Talks With My Daughter (Demorest, 1873)
- A lovely piece on the value of manners (vs. simply "etiquette").
- Aprons (GOP, 1881)
- A bit of the history of the apron, along with a lovely page of contemporary fashions.
- Notes by an Artist Naturalist (GOP, 1892-94)
- Beautifully illustrated monthly series by artist Fred Miller on the flora, fauna and lore of the season. (This series ran sporadically between 1892 and 1894.)
- The Hat (Harpers, 1882)
- Is it a poem or a short story? Either way, it's bound to bring a chuckle!
- Home Management, Month by Month (GOP, 1901)
- Household management tips for the month.
- Recipes for September (GOP, 1897)
- Recipes for the month.
- The Hat