Don't miss an issue!
Join our mailing list to be notified
as soon as each new issue comes out - plus get access via Dropbox!
Get it in Print!
Get the October-December issues in
Victorian Times Quarterly #14
Coming in December 2017
- The Ark of the Jamrachs (CFM, 1895)
- "It used to be said of 'Old Jamrach' that if an animal, no matter how rare, existed on this globe, he could get a specimen... Associated with the name of Jamrach are rare stories as well as rare animals."
- London Sixty Years Ago (CFM, 1893)
- A look at life in London of the 1830's, based on sketches by a German visitor.
- What to Do With Our Autumn Gatherings (Ingalls' Home Magazine, 1889)
- A number of creative uses for autumn leaves, grasses and other gatherings.
- Afternoon Tea (CFM, 1889)
- German honey cakes and chestnut pyramids are just two of the delectable recipes provided for an afternoon's entertaining.
- Some Neglected Articles of Food (CFM, 1877)
- A look at some American foods, such as "mush," Indian meal pudding, ginger-cake, hoe-cake, and various recipes for the pumpkin.
- Some Curious Payments for Land (CFM, 1884)
- In Britain, the Crown giveth and the Crown taketh away, so "land ownership" is a rather flexible term. Many land-holders retained their titles through certain gifts to the Crown, such as an iron arrow, gloves, gloves plus a pound of cummin seed and a steel needle, dogs, birds, roses and even gilly-flowers!
- Household Routine (GOP, 1895)
- A brief schedule for the day, plus a list of tasks for the days of the week (e.g., Monday night: "Rub up all the brass things and candle sticks").
- Our Belongings: The Mothers (CFM, 1895)
- "An admirable race we hold them--much-enduring, tactful, loving, unselfish, with busy lives, and often aching hearts, but happy because sure of the niche in life that belongs to them."
- Some Continental Recipes for Cooking Vegetables (GOP, 1902)
- German recipes for cabbage, turnips, asparagus and more.
- Fuzzles: The Story of a Puppy (CFM, 1894)
- "You really haven't the audacity to call that a dog! It's more like Berlin wool-work than anything else!"
- Repousse Brass Work (GOP, 1885)
- Suggestions on making beautiful hammered decorative pieces from brass and other metals, with a selection of gorgeous patterns.
- Preventable Worries (GOP, 1897)
- How good handwriting can save many miseries.
- November (CFM, 1875)
- A monthly series on the seasons in the English countryside - the birds, beasts, and flowers to be seen, along with tips on what to do in the garden, and natural history notes.
- Things in Season, in Market and Kitchen (GOP, 1899)
- Suggested menu for the month, based on what is to be found in the market, and what is appropriate for the weather.
- The Doorless Wolf
- A Thanksgiving Hymn