Don't miss an issue!
Join our mailing list to be notified
as soon as each new issue comes out - plus get access via Dropbox!
Get it in Print!
Get the October-December issues in
Victorian Times Quarterly #14
Coming in December 2017
- Boy Soldiers and Sailors (The Strand, 1892)
- A look at the lads of the Royal Military Asylum, an institution founded for the orphaned children of soldiers.
- Superstitions Regarding Children (CFM, 1889)
- A look at charms and practices around the world meant to keep children safe and healthy.
- Table Decorations (CFM, 1875)
- How to lay the table for breakfast, lunch and dinner - with diagrams!
- Divers Ways of Cooking Apples (GOP, 1888)
- Recipes for Apple Trifle, Pippin Tarts, Apple Marmalade, Pommes Glacees, Apple Pudding and more.
- Old Tins and Their Uses (GOP, 1890)
- From flower-pots to bottle tidies, it's amazing what one can do with old tin cans!
- Makart Bouquets (Demorest, 1887)
- Beautiful assemblages of feathers, dried grasses and "everlasting" flowers.
- Our Belongings: The Fathers (CFM, 1895)
- "The attitude the lord and master chooses to take, the line it pleases him to walk in, his likes and dislikes, his wishes, whims, fads and fancies, and his will, dominate the homes of nine-tenths of English people."
- The Editor's Post-Bag (Windsor Magazine, 1897)
- Some editorial notes regarding would-be writers and contributors.
- Marquetry, or Coloured Wood Inlaying (GOP, 1902)
- Tips and beautiful patterns for inlaying in woods.
- Our Gray Squirrels: A Study (Harpers, 1892)
- Looking out my window, I see the squirrels in our trees behaving just as their ancestors did more than 100 years ago...
- Rose Legends (GOP, 1895)
- Some of the lore of the world's most beloved flower.
- Piano Playing Extraordinary (Windsor Magazine, 1903)
- This performer doesn't just play the piano well... he plays it upside down, on his knees, and with his nose!
- Moorland Idylls: The Night-Jar (English Illustrated Magazine, 1895)
- First in a charming series by noted author Grant Allen, who was also a keen observor of nature.
- Making Money (Demorest, 1873)
- Journalist Jenny June looks at some of the trials and obstacles women have faced in their efforts to enter the workplace.
- October Pleasures (CFM, 1875)
- A monthly series on the seasons in the English countryside - the birds, beasts, and flowers to be seen, along with tips on what to do in the garden, and natural history notes.
- Things in Season, in Market and Kitchen (GOP, 1899)
- Suggested menu for the month, based on what is to be found in the market, and what is appropriate for the weather.
- Sailors of a Century (The Strand, 1893)
- Pictorial feature.
- The Sequel